dannyk
Any advice on cutting the 1/4" polypropylene sheet would be appreciated. We have cut it with a jig saw in the past but are in need of more precision. We have a router and were wondering if it was safe or possible. We are willing to experiment, but have had bad experiences with cutting pvc and would rather not have a problem that could be avoided.
Thank you
Danny
Quote 0 0
EvansPhysics
In the past, we have always cut it with a scroll or band saw.  The speed of the blade is very important.  If you cut too aggressively, it simply melts and then solidifies a bit behind the blade.  I don't think I would want to cut pieces with a hand held router, much less let the kids, but if you used a template, watched your spindle speed and were not too aggressive...  you MIGHT get decent results.  Definitely not my first choice though.

I quickly found this article  http://www.plasticsmag.com/routing.asp?fIssue=Mar/Apr-08&aid=4741 .  It focuses on CNC, but does address a few pertinent issues.

We are planning on experimenting with cutting it on a CNC router this year.  

Not to hijack your question, but it would be great if anyone has a few tips of their own tips for CNC with any of the plastics.... perhaps posted as a new thread to keep this one on topic
Quote 0 0
gyoung
I would suggest a bandsaw.

There are some useful general tips on kit material in the BRI File Manager if you have not seen them before.

MAIN / Public Resources & Training / Technical Training
Quote 0 0
ralsobrook
In addition to speed, the size of the teeth on the blade is critical. Larger teeth are more effective at removing material from the work area, thus inhibiting the self-weld process.

I have never cut the polypropylene with a router, but I have cut it on a mill, and have found that large (3/8 +) 2-flute end mills, with a low spindle speed (600-1200rpm depending on end mill size) and a high feed-rate, work really well. I would imagine that the router would work well under the same conditions, as long as your cut pattern isn't too intricate.
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.