BEST Robotics Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
KevinH

Reply with quote  #1 
Our hub had one of the early Game Days and one thing I noticed was the need for improving the assignment of what field that teams are to compete on each round.  Out of 6 seeding rounds our team was on the same color field 3 times. With this year's fields having two configurations there is even more need for better equalization of field assignments.  We played 4 rounds on one configuration and 2 on another.  Yes, the robot should be able to perform the same on each field as part of the competition, but there are some different challenges that come up, and I believe it would be better if the assignments were so that each team played an equal number of rounds on the same configuration.  I don't have the formula that would provide for that but it may be worth figuring out before regionals.  Loved the game by the way.
jgraber

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for mentioning it.   There is now a way in theory to enter an external list of matches into the scoring system,  and an external XLS match generator.
Assuming Hub people know about it and the instructions are clear, future game days should be able to have this improved system.
Speaking of game day scoring software,  did you notice if the lowest qualifying match score was dropped on the continuous ranking system?
That was a problem last year.
KevinH

Reply with quote  #3 
That sounds promising.

Yes, the lowest match score was being dropped in the continuous seeding round rankings.  I don't think anyone expected that and it made it appear that the scoring wasn't working as teams ran their second time.  Some teams scores didn't change and others did (since it was dropping the lowest of the two.)  By the third round we realized what it was doing and it was announced after lunch break why a team's score sometimes changed by a different amount than their last round's score due to their lowest score dropping.  I believe the lowest round was dropped in the past but only once all seeding rounds were run.  I think that too causes some confusion where the rankings can change from what teams last saw on the scoreboard.

I figure there are pros and cons to dropping the lowest score during seeding but to me the con of dropping the lowest score is how it can negatively impact a team that consistently scores a good score compared to others.  If a team scores 100 points 6 times and another team scores 110 points once, 100 points 4 times, and zero once, after dropping both teams lowest score the second team ends up winning with 510 points over the first team with 500 points.  Just my opinion on that.  I know it helps when a team has a bad round or a hardware failure.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.