dannyk
We are trying to make gears for the first time and would appreciate any advice. We have noticed that many (most) teams use what they describe as a cage gear (made of bolts secured between 2 discs of plastic) connected to a spur gear (made of plastic or wood) rather than 2 spur gears. We have been searching for a tutorial on how to make them and align them, but have been unable. Does anyone have advice or a link to a tutorial?
Thank you
Quote 0 0
rookies2017
My team was considering 3D printing two gears for use in a claw. Not sure how many/what size you need to see if that would work for your TCP. Following this post to see other ideas. [smile]

(I'm not sure where you're located, but if 3D printing would work and there is not one available at your school, I know where many public use ones are available at libraries. I teach 3D modeling and we won the TCEA 3D Design comp last year. I would be happy to help in any way I can!)
Quote 0 0
jgraber
Woodgears.ca has template generator. Try minimum 6mm tooth size and minimum 12 tooth small gear.
Quote 0 0
BScott8870

We are trying to make gears this year.  The Woodgears.ca template generator is in metric and of course the US is in English.

Is there a program similar to Woodgears.ca that provides English settings? 

Quote 0 0
jgraber
I’m not aware of one.  
Engineering in the US often uses metric.  
What gear dimension is important to have in English measurements?

Quote 0 0
BScott8870
The hole is 1/4 in which is 3.147 mm.  The space between teeth of the gears needs to be in inches as well as the diameter of the gears.  I can convert to mm but it does not match up precisely.  Do I have a 3mm hole which is too small for the VEX motor shaft or a 4mm hole which is too big for the 1/4 motor shaft?
Quote 0 0
Zach M
I use inkscape and then convert it to a dxf file and can put that in CAD. It is much easier than any other way I've tried. No problems meshing at all. 
Quote 0 0
jgraber
Bart,  if you print the english values you wanted to use,   
I'll set up a usable metric set of values for you.
   Then you can show your team of students how to do it.
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.