Zach M
Hello, I do not have a FB account so I wanted to start a thread here about National Reveal Day. 

My team has purchased its own returnables kit for the purpose of experimenting with it in the off season last year. Now that there will be a national reveal, is the intent that teams that have returnables kits such as us go ahead and "dive right in" and start the engineering and design process and even begin creating our robot - even before our hub's unveil day? 

Thank you. 
Quote 0 0
crc1021
I find it interesting that there is no info released about this on besting.org or this forum.  I did read the facebook post and the comments, and it seems that teams can get started right away regardless of when their kickoff is.  While some hubs will have more time than than others, each team within a hub will have the same time.
Quote 0 0
Zach M
Me too. I've been confused as to whether or not we can start, actually, I'm surprised no one has asked that directly (I think the answer was assumed) but I'm not positive the answer is yes... But yes, that's true. If teams begin work after the live stream regardless of their hub, the truth is that no matter who you are competing with, everyone has the same amount of time in hub competitions and regional competitions. It is inevitable that all hub competitions cannot be held on the same day though, so yes, some hubs will have longer. I don't see the problem with that though, IMHO. 
Quote 0 0
jgraber
The point is that all teams in the same regional have the same amount of time from reveal to regional.
Early kickoff hubs have more time between hub game day and regional.
Late kickoff hubs have more times up to hub game day, but less time from hub game day to regional.

Hopefully, the reveal itself should answer questions about what activities can take place between reveal and hub kickoff.
I'll ping some people about mentioning the reveal on the main web page.
Quote 1 0
jgraber
The new BRI website is not yet ready in time for more data.
The current website should have the announcement soon.
dallas-best.org should have the same announcement soon too.
Attached are the announcements that I have.
Regarding what activities teams can do between Reveal and Kickoff, I have this quote from the exec director: "While we understand this (reveal) will trigger brainstorming we expect teams to respect the sportsmanship of BEST and only use their standard 6 weeks."
Quote 1 0
Zach M
Ok, that clears some things up. Thank you. We really want to obey the boundaries set, so in an effort to be sportsmanlike but still brainstorm in the most effective way, would building the field (assuming dimensions, etc. are released Saturday) be allowed, or is it assumed that teams should not do that either? 
Quote 0 0
jgraber
The new BRI website is not yet ready in time for more data.
The current website should have the announcement soon.
dallas-best.org should have the same announcement soon too.
Attached are the announcements that I have.
Regarding what activities teams can do between Reveal and Kickoff, I have this quote from the exec director: "While we understand this (reveal) will trigger brainstorming we expect teams to respect the sportsmanship of BEST and only use their standard 6 weeks."
Quote 0 0
Emory K.
Since the 2018 playing field drawings and bill-of-materials were made available before kickoff, our team assumed that we would be permitted to build the playing field now, though we understood that construction on the robot itself must wait until after kickoff.  But the following statement on the BEST Facebook page makes it clear that any playing-field construction must also wait until after kickoff:

Quote:

STATEMENT FROM BEST ROBOTICS:
We hope our students are planning to watch the livestream game reveal video on Saturday. As we’ve noted, this is a special event in honor of our founders and in celebration of our 25th Anniversary. However:

This does not change your hub timeline. While we will reveal the game and the game files will be accessible, this does not mean teams should begin any design or build of robots, partial field, or exhibits outside of your normal kickoff and 6 week timeline...

...Teams and hubs please share this post on your pages.

The instruction to not work on a playing field wasn't included in the information we saw before the live reveal, nor was it made explicit during the live reveal.  So, if I had not visited the Facebook page, our team would have started work on the field this week.  I suspect there are other teams that do not regularly visit or read everything on the Facebook page, and only use the bestinc.org web site.  Thus, I suggest that BEST needs to promptly and directly get word to all teams not to start any work on playing fields or display booths, or you'll may well have numerous teams unknowingly violate this policy, starting Monday.

Thanks.

Quote 0 0
jgraber
This would be a good question for the q and a site,  as well as every other answer given in the live reveal. 
Quote 0 0