BEST Robotics Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Zach M

Reply with quote  #1 
What are the chances there might be a national competition for Crossfire 2017?
jgraber

Reply with quote  #2 
Seems unlikely.   The general opinion is that the cost of travel to a national competition is far more than the educational value.
You could try advocating for a "virtual national" with no travel.   Compare game scores across regionals, maybe with a 3minute video of your best game, and provide online access to your Engineering Notebook and video of your Marketing presentation.

EvansPhysics

Reply with quote  #3 
I would have to agree with jgraber... for now...  the cost beyond regionals is too much for some teams.  My team is from one of the Pennsylvania hubs and our regional has always been in Alabama or North Dakota.  Depending on travel costs and # of students (usually 20 or less), our budget has ranged from $12K - $19K.  It requires a massive effort fundraising and we probably couldn't manage a national if we qualified.

Now, If we get the expansion that we are hoping for with BEST HQ moving to Pittsburgh... maybe we will eventually have a closer regional and it could be feasible... for us.  

With a national comp, you also have the logistics of disperse teams just getting their booth and robot to the venue.  It is normally cheaper (and safer in December) for us to fly from PA to ND.  That means we have to ship the booth & robot, make it simple enough to take on the airplane, or find a parent with a van willing to make the drive in who knows what weather.  All daunting tasks that we have to consider when designing everything way back in September... when we may not even qualify for regionals.
Zach M

Reply with quote  #4 
Ok, I can see y'alls points... makes sense! I don't know what our team would do if we qualified for a nationals competition either. I like the idea of the virtual national competition though! Thanks for the feedback.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.