getgray
The only documentation I've found from Googling is a VEX powerpoint and of course our own kit usage document.  Both show a photograph on connecting the potentiometer, but both appear to be incorrect.  At the least the 3 analog terminals are plugged into the cortex wrong (terminal bodies running parallel to the whole slot) so I know that much is wrong.  That big of an error makes the whole thing suspect.  It also implies only 2 wires are needed since it shows the 2-wire terminal.

What is the correct wiring for a potentiometer?

Quote 0 0
gyoung
The BEST kit usage document is not wrong, just outdated. The photo shows connection using the 2-wire sensor screw terminal cables which we don't supply in the kit any longer. We now supply only the 3-wire sensor cables. In the photo, only the black wire of each connector is actually being used.

With the 3-wire screw terminal connectors, you insert the across the 3 pin holes of a port to pick up 5v, gnd, and signal as identified in the photo.
Quote 0 0
getgray
I respectfully disagree.  It is outdated AND wrong.  2-terminal or 3, in the photo they are plugged in incorrectly.  Look closely, in the photo there are 3 terminals plugged in, each of which span ports 1-2-3, with pins of each terminal "landing" in ports 1 and 3 respectively.

Anyway, I found an answer I believe IS correct:  http://education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/products/vex_online/resources/home_brew/potentiometer/Potentiometer.html

Quote 0 0
David K
The correct wiring for the current BEST potentiometer is on page 14 of the 2014_Generic_Kit_Usage_Guide v2.pdf document posted on the BRI File Manager.

MAIN / Public Resources & Training / Kits
Quote 0 0
getgray
Thank you.
Quote 0 0
God
I approve
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.