EvansPhysics
Although it may be a bit early as VEX has only released basic product information...

Any thoughts or info about the new V5 components and BEST?

Basic V5 info from the VEX website:  https://www.vexrobotics.com/v5

Quote 0 0
jgraber
Lots of good promises.  Programming promises look interesting. 
Pushing "2x power of 393 motor" through an RJ11 connector is hard to believe;  its not your grandma's RJ11 phone extension cord.
It looks exciting for Vex. 

I don't know how it will affect BEST.
Quote 0 0
EvansPhysics
My initial take is that the legacy ports may no be be adequate.  But I am sure brighter minds than me will work out a good system.  What I am most interest in for BEST (based on our connection problems) is this snippet from the forums 

"As far as the radio is concerned, we use narrowband 2.4 (as opposed to Wifis broadband) and the current technology chipsets at 5.8 do not support narrowband. Narrowband is how we can have multiple robots on the field without interference at an event like VEX Worlds, etc. Broadband signals should not interfere with the narrowband 2.4 we use. If you think that is really happening, then you should check a different set of radios as you MIGHT have a radio hardware issue. When we tested 100 pairs of VEXnet 2.4 in our building, it completely rendered our broadband company wireless useless, but the robots never lost connection."
Quote 0 0
gyoung
There is no current plan for BEST to transition to the V5 system. The kit committee will be evaluating it as it does with other control systems every couple of years.
Quote 0 0