BEST Robotics Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dmgauntt

Reply with quote  #1 
My students had no trouble  getting the remote control to communicate with the Vex Cortex micro controller using the orange USB cable, but could not get the Vexnet USB wireless keys to work.

In the event someone else has similar trouble, here are the resources that we found and the actions that we took to get the system to work.

In summary, it is important to have the firmware in the Cortex, the remote, and in the USB keys all up to date.  This is not the code that the students write in RobotC or EasyC and download onto the Cortex; this is the firmware that controls the communications.

1) Make sure that you have the VEXNet Firmware Upgrade Utility version 4.1.7 installed on your computer (laptop or desktop).  This utility ships with EasyC v5 and can be started from the Tools menu.  It can also be downloaded from http://www.vexrobotics.com/vexedr/software/firmware/.

2) Make sure that you have the VEXNet Key 2.0 Firmware Upgrade Utility version 3.0 installed on your computer (laptop or desktop).  It can be downloaded from http://www.vexrobotics.com/vexedr/software/firmware/.

3) Update the firmware both on the Cortex microcontroller and on the remote control.  The attached file has detailed instructions.  We found that the firmware on our remote was already up-to-date, but to update the firmware on the Cortex we had to push the "Config Access" button on the cortex.  Be patient, and read the instructions!  On the other hand, not all of the instructions will apply; you may not need the user key and password described, etc. Be patient!

4) Update the firmware on both of your USB VEXNet 2.0 keys.  The instructions for doing so should be in the file that you downloaded in step (2) above.  The key here again is patience; you will probably have to wait several minutes for the VEXNet key device driver to load.

gyoung

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Updating the firmware is important. Thanks for spelling out the detailed steps.  Your hub SHOULD have done this for all items before distributing the kits. Check with your hub personnel (who gave you the kit) when you are experiencing technical issues that you cannot resolve. They will have someone that can help you.
Miss B

Reply with quote  #3 
I can't open the attachment with the detailed instructions.  I have registered and confirmed my email.  It says I don't have access.

What should I try next?
gyoung

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
VEXnet Firmware Upgrade utility can be downloaded here: http://www.vexrobotics.com/vexedr/software/firmware
The documentation comes with the download.

FYI, there are many resources available at http://www.bestinc.org/b_resources1.php   (the Participants > Resources menu on the main BEST website.)

You'll find useful Control System links there as well

Capture.JPG 

tjhoome

Reply with quote  #5 
my class is trying to find out if we have to buy all new wifi keys when we update? is there any way to update with ut having to get teh new keys 

jgraber

Reply with quote  #6 
My understanding is that all vexnet software updates are intended to be backward compatible with Cortex plus (vexnet 1.0 black keys) or (vexnet 2.0 white keys).   If you already have white keys, you can follow the instructions above or online by searching "vexnet update".
JoseProgrammingCplusplus

Reply with quote  #7 
I can't open the attachment VEXnet_Firmware_Upgrade_Utility_Operating_Instructions_1-5-2011.pdf  with the detailed instructions.  I have registered and confirmed my email.  It says I don't have access.

Our Vex Controller is showing all red lights when using the USB flash drive in brain and controller.  Have confirmed that both have updated firmware and do not need updating.  But keep getting the three red lights when using USBs only.  It works perfectly fine when connecting with A-A USB cable.

Help... this can be a non-starter and our DEMO day is Oct 8th (was working fine past two weeks, not sure what changed).

jgraber

Reply with quote  #8 
Sounds like bad vexnet keys.   Can you try swapping them out for different ones, from another class room set at your school, or from hub spares?  You can practice driving with A-A cable and your hub should have spares for you at demo day.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.