BEST Robotics Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
David K

Reply with quote  #1 

The “Team Custom Part” initiative is new for the 2016 BEST season.  It will give teams the ability to build two custom parts from a wide range of materials.  Details can be found here:

http://best.eng.auburn.edu/stored_procedures/folder-manager2/create-folder.php?folder=493&parent_id=489

on the BRI File Manager (at \HOME\Public Resources & Training\Kits\).

getgray

Reply with quote  #2 
Boy this is gonna cause some confusion.  I guess it's implemented to let kids with schools who can afford a small 3D printer do something with the printer.  Anyway...

Regarding the example of a length of monofilament line (impractical example I think), since it has to fit unconstrained, as removed from a robot, it could only be as long as it woudl fit into a 2x4x4 cube.  So it would be a max length of the longest diagonal of that cube (~5.6")

Right?

David K

Reply with quote  #3 

The Custom Part may be self-constrained to meet the size requirement.  This definition is consistent with how the over-all size of the robot is inspected (the robot must fit unconstrained within a 24” cube, but it can expand beyond this size when in use).

So a flexible Custom Part is compliant if it can fit within the required size (if removed from the robot), unconstrained, without using any other parts.  It can be rolled, coiled, twisted, hooked to itself or some other method/manner in such a way that it is self-constrained.

ralsobrook

Reply with quote  #4 
Am I correct in assuming that Team Custom Parts may be used for any application on the robot (eg. gripper, bracket, counterweight, etc)?
A friend of mine read the post in such a way that it seemed to him that a Team Custom Part might only be allowed for use in a certain task in next year's game (eg. picking up/transporting game pieces, flipping a switch, etc.).
David K

Reply with quote  #5 
The Team Custom Part can be used for any purpose on the robot.
jgraber

Reply with quote  #6 
Hey teams,  what kinds of things are you using Team Custom Parts (TCP) for?
  The TCP description itself mentions Inner tube rubber,  so even though it is not on the Ckit list this year, you could still use your TCP allowance for 2 tires of rubber strips.
  At demo day, I saw a slice of 2x4 as a motor hub.  I suppose if you declare that as your TCP,  it would be ok...  
Even if you put screws through it, you can still see the screw head, so it can be inspected, so it probably doesn't count against the "embedded" restriction.
Lancie1

Reply with quote  #7 
Has anyone tried using a spring that is less than 2"x4"x4" in its coiled self-constrained condition, but mounted on the robot it is stretched out into a longer shape?  It meets the major points of the rule:  it is made of a uniform material, it fits unconstrained into a 2"x4"x4" cuboid, it is a single continuous piece of material, and it retains some of its initial material stock shape in its final form.  Does this meet all the rules for a Team Custom Part?
David K

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes, the spring would be compliant (okay to stretch it when installed on the robot). Remember that you have to make your own spring.  So if you are thinking of a metal spring, you will need to form your own coiled spring starting with a straight piece of metal.
Lancie1

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you.  It should be no problem to form this particular piece of metal into a coil.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.