dannyk
Our cortex is constantly losing power due to the white plug from the battery losing contact to the cortex. Is there a solution to this? I found in troubleshooting that this is a common problem, but there was not a solution.
Thanks
Quote 0 0
gyoung
Contact your hub for a replacement...
Quote 0 0
Johnny Dirks
Vex has a replacement connector--it is black and takes about 5 min to replace.  I received 35 connectors from Vex and replaced them for our Hub.  They did not charge me for the connectors and they offered to replace them at their site.
Quote 0 0
gyoung
That's true. FYI, teams should not be attempting a change of the connector. Only Hub personnel should be making such a change.
Quote 0 0
dmgauntt
I remember reading somewhere that hubs can solder PowerPole pigtails onto Cortex controllers after the warranty runs out.  This strikes me as a good technical solution, but is it allowed?  Clearly, clearly, clearly, teams are *NOT* allowed to do this.
Quote 0 0
jgraber
We just mentioned Power Pole pigtails at the last Kit Committee meeting.
There will probably be some guidance for Hubs by next season,
something reasonable like max length of pigtail and battery is X inches, maybe whatever the default molex connector length is.
  There was also a request for consideration of adding a battery extension wire to the kit to allow flexibility in battery placement, but we haven't voted on it.

Quote 0 0
widerbestrobot
I personally would like for there to be battery extensions.
We would use the battery for counter-weighting on our arm.
Quote 0 0
EvansPhysics
Just curious if anyone knows the length of the warranty on the cortex.  I've looked for it (but not very thoroughly).  I've started having problems with a non-BEST cortex and a joystick.
Quote 0 0
EvansPhysics
I would also like to push that hubs replace the power connectors once out of warranty.  While we haven't had issue with our BEST cortex, A few of the plugs on our other cortexes are troublesome.  It usually stems from the metal leads in the battery end of the connector being loose and out of alignment.  When the kids try to force the connectors together, it just magnifies the problem.

Battery Extensions would be nice, even if just short.  Aside from a little flexibility on battery placement, it would reduce the strain and fatigue on the cortex battery connector.

A bigger pain is the 2 pin connectors like the ones that connect the motor controllers to the 2-wire terminal blocks (and VEX motors)... but that is another topic that doesn't affect BEST very much (I think I will design and print a small strain-relief clip this year - not for use in BEST.  It should be easier than making repairs.)
Quote 0 0
dmgauntt
I checked the warranty information on the Vex Robotics website (http://www.vexrobotics.com/contact/policies-1):

Quote:
VEX Robotics, Inc. warrants our products to be free from defects in manufacturing, materials and workmanship for a period of three (3) months from the date of purchase. This warranty covers normal use as described in the product manual and within the limits as specified in any applicable data sheets. This warranty does not cover abuse, misuse, incorrect wiring, alterations, connector damage, or robot competition damage.

I like the phase "robot competition damage"; you don't see that in a warranty policy often!
Quote 0 0