dmgauntt
Blazer BEST, the first hub competition of the season took place this Saturday. So far as I could tell, the new competition software worked fairly well.  However, as a team mentor there were several features that I missed having.

There was no printed schedule of matches, and the video display showed only the teams currently on the field and the teams that were to play next.  Together his made planning difficult, not knowing when my team's next match would be.

There was no display of the team standings during the competition.  Spectators and participants do like to know how the teams are doing relative to each other.

Otherwise, the competition went well.  This was the first time that Blazer BEST used two fields, and consequently the seeding tournament was over before the lunch break.  There were 28 teams present, and the teams played 6 matches per team in the seeding tournament (about 3 hours duration).  That was about 4 minutes 30 seconds per match, which in my experience is a really good turnaround time.
Quote 0 0
KevinH
We didn't see those problems at the NW Alabama BEST Game Day this past weekend.  Teams had a printed match listing.  Our team had a student keeping score just in case but they started scrolling scores and the next match for each team after all the teams had gone once.  Then they posted the new values for each commodity after the seeding and semi-finals.

We only have one game field for 4 teams at a time for 24 teams so it took more time than yours, but they kept it moving and kept scores updated quickly.

We really enjoyed this year's game.  There was more diversity in strategies and robot designs.
Quote 0 0
gyoung
The scoring software is not really new, we used it last year as well. It has all of the features you mentioned were missing so I am assuming that it was just due to the way the hub decided to use it.
Quote 0 0
gyoung
BTW, feel free to post scores for your hub competition here for comparison.
Quote 0 0
dmgauntt
Since the hub did not display scores or standings, I haven't much to report except that my students' team had three matches in the seeding tournament with scores between 400 and 415, which was enough to win the Top Gun award.
Quote 0 0